Due to the COVID-19 threat to our community, the Aiken County Probate Court is operating in a modified capacity to reduce the person-to-person contact that is inherent in normal court operations.
All appointments will be handled by telephone or video conference.
The Court will accept by mail all filings including without limitation, filings to open estates, inventories and appraisals, accountings, filings to close estates, and petitions, motions, etc. Hearings are being conducted in accordance with South Carolina Supreme Court Order dated April 22, 2020.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLYING FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
Due to the current pandemic, the Aiken County Probate Court has modified the method by which applicants may apply for marriage licenses and the issuance of marriage licenses. Applicants are no longer required to appear in person at the Probate Court to apply for a marriage license. During this time of crisis, applicants for a marriage license are to apply by mail only and marriage licenses will be issued by mail only.
Instructions for applying by mail are set forth below:
- Fill out the Application for License and Certificate of Marriage, must be notarized. It is available online here.
- Mail completed application, $45.00 filing fee, and copies of proof of both applicants' identification to Aiken County Probate Court, PO Box 1576, Aiken, SC 29802. Accepted forms of proof of identification include a copy of an applicant's driver's license, military identification card, certified copy of birth certificate, or passport. DO NOT send original proof of identification.
- If a maiden name was restored in a Divorce Decree, a copy MUST be attached showing your legal name change.
- The $45.00 filing fee for the application must be paid by cashier's check/certified check or money order made payable to Aiken County Probate Court.
- There is a statutory 24-hour waiting period in South Carolina from the time you apply until the time the license may be issued.
- The Probate Court will mail the marriage license to the address of Applicant A, unless otherwise instructed by the applicants.
- If you have any questions regarding the above procedures, please contact the Probate Court at 803-642-2002.