FAQ: What will happen if my property is remapped from a low- or moderate-risk area to a high-risk area?

If the new maps indicate the building on your property is now at a higher risk for flooding, you will be required to purchase a flood policy if you carry a mortgage from a federally regulated lender. If you do not have a mortgage, it is still recommended that you purchase flood insurance. If your building is redrawn into a high-risk area, there are lower-cost options available through the National Flood Insurance Program, or NFIP, "grandfathering" rule (see question No. 10).

Government Center, 1930 University Pkwy | Aiken, SC 29801 Aiken County Government | © 2022